1912 to present
Bergheim is a German word meaning “Hill Home”. The pioneers of this area came from similar land in Europe in the early 1900’s. They became known as the “Hillbillies”. The land they farmed was hilly, sandy and very rocky. It was difficult to make a living for their families. Families and neighbors grew close because of this and rallied around the church and the school. The school opened in 1912 and closed in 1960. After the closing, local residents banded together and bought the yard site and school building. It has remained the heart of community activities and the Bergheim Recreation Center grew from this.